Now what are those prizes?
1st Grand Prize: A Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet
2nd Grand Prize: A $75 Amazon or B&N Gift Card3rd Grand Prize: A Swag Pack that contains paperbacks, ebooks, 50+ bookmarks, cover flats, magnets, pens, coffee cozies, and more!
And I'm also giving away a copy of The Angel's Assassin. To be in with a chance of winning, just comment below!
While we're aware of the phenomenon of Black Friday in England, obviously we do not have it here because we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.
For us Brits, we fall into two categories when it comes to Christmas shopping. Those who do it in the January sales and those who do it in the week before Christmas or, if possible, on Christmas Eve. You think I'm kidding...
If you are ever unlucky enough to be in Britain during that week then here are a few rules you should bear in mind:
- British people queue. We love to queue and take great pride in maintaining our calm disposition while queueing.
- Acceptable topics of conversation during a queue are the weather and how long the queue is.
- Never express your aggravation at how long a queue is and always join the back of the queue. Don't edge forwards! People will take this as a sign of aggression.
- We love a bargain. It doesn't matter if its good quality or if we needed it or not, if its a bargain, we want it. Avoid discount stores and any shops with the sign 'sale' in it.
- If you are shopping with a Brit then make sure you allow enough time to stop for a tea break. 'Nuff said.
- Avoid market days. These are not the twee country markets that people envision. They are a bustling pit of bargain hunters desperate to get their hands on the toys that will break straight away and the food that only has two days left on its sell by date.
- Do not underestimate the elderly. They will fight you for the last bit of broccoli. I know this from experience.
- And finally, endure all of this with a stiff upper lip!
I hope you enjoyed my little peek into the world of shopping with the British. I do love our stoic ways dearly. Are there any traits I missed? What's Christmas shopping like where you live? Comment below to win a copy of The Angel's Assassin and to be in with a chance of winning those amazing grand prizes!