Monday 31 December 2012

Author Interview: Sarah Ettrich

What is your name (or pen name) and where do you live now?
My name is Sarah Ettritch and I live in Canada.

First off, how has your week been?
Given that I’m answering these questions on a Tuesday, so far, so good. My answer might be different come Friday!

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I didn’t always want to be a writer. In fact, I’m still not sure that I want writing to be my main gig. I’ve only been seriously writing for the last five years. I’ve been a software developer for over twenty years. I didn’t want to be a developer, either. If I stumble across something I enjoy, I explore it. I won’t be surprised if something else captures my fancy in the future.

Are your books available as eBooks? Were you involved in that process at all? Do you read eBooks or is it paper all the way?
All of my books are available as eBooks. I do everything myself, except for the cover design. I don’t mind reading non-fiction eBooks, but I prefer print for fiction. I have a Kindle and I’ve tried reading fiction on it, but it just isn’t my cup of tea. When I do read an eBook, I also prefer using Kindle for PC, so I can read on a large screen.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It depends on the length of the story. An idea can ferment in my subconscious for a year or two before I sit down and write it. Once I put virtual pen to paper, I usually take 2 to 6 months to complete the first draft, and that’s followed by 1 to 3 months of editing. When I receive the story back from my editor, I spend another 4 to 6 weeks polishing it.

Do you have plans for a new book?
I have a long list of ideas, so I’ll definitely write more books.

What genre would you place your books into?
I mainly write science fiction and fantasy stories featuring strong female characters.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Usually I write the book before I know the title. Sometimes the perfect title is revealed as I write. A character might say or think it. For example, in my time travel romance Threaded Through Time, a character uses a threading analogy to explain time travel. Other times I’ve had trouble coming up with a title and only settled on one just before sending the manuscript to my editor.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
Sometimes characters come with their names. Other times I’ll visit websites like babynames.com and see what jumps out at me. When it comes to place names, I take existing names and rearrange the syllables, or I make them up.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
Usually the character develops as I write. Sometimes they come to me with their traits, so I don’t consciously choose them.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I just finished reading the paperback version of The Stolen Throne by David Gaider. It’s written within the Dragon Age world, a gaming franchise I enjoy, so I liked the book.
__________________________________________________________________
Sarah Ettritch writes science fiction and fantasy stories featuring strong female characters. In addition to writing, Sarah enjoys reading, playing computer games, and following publishing news. She belongs to several organizations related to writing and publishing, including EPIC and Broad Universe. Sarah is the author of Threaded Through Time, The Salbine Sisters, The Atheist, and the Rymellan series.


You an purchase Threaded Through Time on AmazonSmashwords and Kobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment