Monday 11 February 2013

Author Interview: Chimnese Davids

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?
I love the ocean I have this spot at my favourite beach where I go at times just to be at peace with my life. I see myself as a spiritual being that has a connection with God that is so strong that I can feel His presence uplift me in times of anxiety. That is where writing became my own therapy to highlight moments of myself through words that could help the next person. Most of my newer writings had changed to a different genre as poetry had become more reflective as a poet I am able to release from what’s inside me.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it what would you say?
The title is Muses of Wandering Passions, if I should give a short summary about the book it would be: Muses of Wandering Passions is the very definition of sadness and of loss. Its undiluted mourning grips the reader: within the starkness, the sincerity of recollections in fairness to the one causing the broken heart is touching.

The book contains the pensive reflections on a life that passed, but also the effects of it in the now. It brings a test of ability to those in need; a showdown. The reader is gently guided to assess own love. It is often better to look at the self through the eyes of others. Even though one cannot calculate happiness, lessons arise from reading this book, such as: eternal love cannot be neutralized by separation; and: the broken heart is not powerless.

The end of the road brings options: one cannot fight reality; leaving does not necessarily mean stop loving; separation does not imply forgetting; mourning is not necessarily not forgiving. The forgiving heart may mourn; but even more, must mourn, in order to heal, finally. Only then the spirit may grow beyond that which seemed to be so devastating, so destructive. It is often so that the heart in mourning is taught to feel all emotions, in order to really understand and relate to the sorrow of others. In fact, this is crucial for anyone in any relationship.

This book is a journey into a soul; a demonstration of how the heart is predestined to heal itself; understanding life by accepting strife.


Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?
I don’t think it was as much the idea for the book; it was more about having a guide for other’s to read. When I send my first few poems to the publisher I was sceptical about it seeing as so many publishers had turn me down not for the fact that my work wasn’t good, but because they just didn’t think much of poetry, but what editors and publishing houses forget they need to give any writer the chance whether poet or novelist. When I got the reply back that they want to publish me I knew that this book will change lives of ordinary people. So I don’t think it was the idea behind the book, but the reason of why it had to be published.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest I would say would be the content of each poem, because each poem was written with an emotion or a feeling I was going through. As most would say the poet is connected to the soul. And this book has my soul written on white pages…

Do you have plans for a new book?
Yes I do. I happened to take part in the Nanowrimo and completed my first novel, but the book ended up becoming a series which I am also currently working on. I think 2013 will be a good year for this writer/poet.

Can you describe the feeling you had when you saw your published book for the first time?
I was exited I was through the moon, my tears couldn’t stop falling. Having been rejected so many times this was definitely my breakthrough. Most importantly I thank God for giving me this opportunity to reach my childhood dream.

Is there a word, phrase or quote you like?
“Change is possible if you allow it to happen. Nothing in life is constant it’s always evolving and that’s how life happens for me. That through my adversities I can reach new heights.”

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t be frightened to do what you enjoy most. Take that chance you might never know how much it would help you in the future if you want to become a published poet/author.

______________________________________________________
Chimnese Davids is South African, accounts clerk and freelance writer. Her first publication was with an online magazine Allthings Girl in 2010.She had also been published in two anthologies, Step Into My Shoes published through Jafansta. Inc in June 2011 and Love In Creativity, published through Jingle and Gooseberry Garden Community in March 2012.
She was 12 years old when she started writing and won a contest in 1996.
Her debuted poetry and prose collection, "Muses of Wandering Passions" is her first book published.

Her editor and publisher (KREATIVSA~ August 2012) said that the book would be a guide to her readers to find hope in their own strength and how the heart can heal itself in time with the true nature of her spiritual journey that would take the reader to places they've never searched within themselves.



Muses of Wandering Passions are about love and love lost, chasing your dreams and never giving up. Starting with Finding a Feather in my Path. It speaks of hopes and dreams and of people who want to crush those dreams.
Moving on to Can't Breathe without You where Davids speaks of a lost love and trying to move on. Open Road goes on to speak about the changes that we can make in our lives just with the choices we make. I could go on and on about this. However I will leave it there. I recommend this not just because I know the author but because I truly believe in the words that have been written.


By Myra Lochner

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Samantha..All the best with you up and coming book.....

    ReplyDelete