Friday 20 September 2013

Karma is a Bitch

Excuse the profanity. If you read my posts regularly you'll know that's a rarity for me. Though I'm not great at holding my tongue...fingers?

There's a reason behind this post, and not just a ranty one. I've had several people ask me about marketing this week. I'm no whizz but I do have a business brain. Always have done. I owned and ran a small business before selling it on when I started writing. And I've had my hand in a few things since my early twenties. I am not a marketing genius--I know some of them and boy do I envy them--but I have discovered a few things that work to sell books and a few things that haven't.

One of the biggest things I believe in is karma. What goes around comes around etc. I do a lot of networking with bloggers, reviewers and fellow authors. Bloggers in particular work their backsides off to help authors. I know what a bloody pain it is putting together all these promotional posts so it winds me up when you see authors taking that for granted. I won't point out specifics but things like people spamming their pages without even a please and thank you is one of the things I've noticed book bloggers complain about. Where are your manners?

But this is where karma comes in to play. Those bloggers, fellow authors, reviewers etc, will remember that. I still remember the rudest author I've ever met from the start of my career. I know that if any of my friends came into contact with him, I would warn them away for their sakes. But we also remember those lovely authors who will bend over backwards to help you. I know I do. And I will always go out of my way to help them market. Some of them have become good friends and between us, we've achieved some awesome things.

So here's what I'm trying to say... you want to sell some books? Try helping out others. Try being polite and friendly. Try not to spam and leave. I'm not saying ignore your books, don't ever share your links, but just try and give as much as you take. It seriously will pay off.

And the best bit? You may make some amazing friends along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Arrrrgh! I like it when authors send me an email that doesn't even say 'Hello, my name is..." etc, but just say "Here is my book fro review"!!! These are generally people I have never heard of, who have never made a comment on my facebook page, but expect me to bend over backwards for them. Not only that, they send me an unsolicited book that is like 400 pages long! Like I have nothing better to do with my time! If only all authors could be like you, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, Sara! Believe it or not, I've had some of those. Just a book attached. I'm not sure they even bothered with an email. Reading and reviewing a book takes time and there's sooo many of us who want reviews, a lot of authors don't seem to get that reviewers are swamped and are doing them a favour. Generally reviews help with sales... so you'd think they'd be a bit politer to the people who are going to help make them money!

      What baffles me, is these people are openly behaving like this under their author name. What happened to professionalism? I've met far too many of them who are just (very obviously) out for themselves. Do they not think that will come back and bit them in the backside one day?

      Thank goodness I have met some lovely authors too. It's just a shame they get overshadowed by the ones with no manners.

      Delete