Tuesday 17 June 2014

Going British: Eton Mess Recipe

Britain is finally embracing a little warm weather. It won't last so I'm going to make the most of it. One of the things I always do in the summer is make Eton Mess. It is my favourite dessert (pudding if you want to be truly British--pudding means all kinds of desserts here!) and with the glut of strawberries I have every summer from garden, it's a great way of using up the ugliest ones.



Eton Mess is traditionally served at Eton College's annual cricket game. It is refreshing but very indulgent. I like mine heavy with meringue because I have a real sweet tooth but for strawberry lovers, it tastes wonderful if packed with them. The cream and meringue balances out the tangy fruit perfectly.

And the best thing--it's so easy!

Ingredients

Meringue (or you can just buy pre-made)
1 Punnet Strawberries
300 ml Whipping Cream

I won't go into making meringue as it's easy to find recipes online but I love homemade meringue. However, because this is designed to be a quick, easy recipe, buying them pre-made works just as well.

1. Whip up your cream until thick and stiff.
2. Chop the strawberries into sizeable chunks.
3. Crumble the meringues. I use about 8 nests when I'm using pre-made but if I'm feeling greedy I might use more. When making my own, I make nice big ugly ones because no one will know :) and use the whole lot.
4. Blend.

Top with one of your prettiest strawberries and serve with crumpets and proper English tea for a truly English experience. Yes, we still drink hot tea in warm weather. My mother claims is cools her down...




No comments:

Post a Comment