Monday 17 December 2012

Author Interview: Paula Lofting

Welcome to Paula, author of Sons of the Wolf, a fantastic historical novel set in one of my favourite periods in time - read on to find out more.

What is your name and where do you live now?
My name is Paula Wilcox, but I use my maiden name with which to write. I thought it was a good idea because of my connections to the famous writer Hugh Lofting who wrote the doctor Dolittle books.


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Yes its always been a dream of mine. I also wanted to be a dancer, rock star, musician and actress 


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it what would you say?
My debut novel is called Sons of the Wolf and in summarising it is historical fiction set in the years before the Norman Conquest of England and has everything, battles, romance, bloodfeuds and courtly intrigue.


How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Sons took me 6 years to write in its original entirety which has now been turned into two volumes.


Do you have plans for a new book?
The second volume is called The Wolf Banner and follows on from the first.


What genre would you place your books into?
Definitely historical fiction.


What made you decide to write that genre of book?
Always been a lover of history, so it was a no brainer really!

Do you have a favourite character from your books? Why are they your favourite?
My favourite character has to be my main one, Wulfhere. I think it’s because I have such fun torturing him with emotional and psychological ups and downs!


Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
I had no idea where I was going with this book when I started out. I just wrote whatever came into my head and the book just wrote itself really.


Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I don’t have time for routines I’m afraid. I write when I can as I work fulltime as a nurse so cant afford to be too fussy about when and where I write 


Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I started writing the book before I chose the name. It came to me about a quarter way through.


How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
They needed to be Olde English names so I found them on line. I’d joined a re-enactment group to help me with my research so I soon learned a lot.


Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
For the main characters I started out with an idea, then they developed their own character traits themselves.


Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Yes a few times. I jumped forward a bit and then went backwards and filled in the bits where I’d got the block. I think it helps to pull away from it and go back to it later.


Is there a certain author that influenced you in writing?
Yes, Sharon Kay Penman and Bernard Cornwell and when I was younger, Rosemary Sutcliffe and Leon Garfield were my favourites and Charles  Dicken’s Oliver Twist was a great influence.


What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
I guess it has to be Oliver Twist. I loved that book!


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
If the film company are true to the book, then yes. I can’t say what is my favourite because the best books are still waiting to be made into films!


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or
paperback) 

Currently reading the Jacobites’ apprentice by David Ebbsworth who is an indie author like me. It’s very classically written and very intellectual. He’s a very clever man is our Dave. It’s about the inter-rivalry between the Jacobites and the Hanoverians in Manchester. Very well researched, can’t fault it. I’m reading it on kindle.


Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I certainly hope not!!!! I will always buy books though I do have a kindle. It’s a great space saver. For my next book I intend to include more sketches as I think if books are to survive we need to make them more visually interesting for people to buy them as opposed to kindle books.


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
You don’t need an agent and a big house publisher to get published these days but you do need a good copyeditor!

________________________________________________________________________
Please provide a link to where we can purchase your books and short biography.
You can purchase Sons of the Wolf on Amazon.
My website is www.paulalofting.com
Blogs : www.paulalofting-sonsofthewolf.blogspot.co.uk
www.paulaperuses.blogspot.co.uk


Thanks Samantha for having me as a guest.
_______________________________________________________________________________
Paula Lofting was born in Middlesex and grew up in South Australia, returning to the country of her birth when she was sixteen. She currently works as a psychiatric nurse as well as writing in her spare time. She now lives in Sussex with two of her three children and is an active member of Regia Anglorum re-enactment society. It was always her ambition to write a novel but found that life lead her on other paths until, in her forties, she began on the journey that has led her to her first book. Sons of the Wolf is Paula's debut novel and the first in a series of books about the Norman conquest of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment