Monday 28 January 2013

Author Interview: Greg Swanson

What is your name and where do you live now? 
G. E. Swanson, California’s southern central valley

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it what would you say? 

It is Apocalypse Z. Through a twist of fate a group of young adults cross paths while trying to escape a zombie apocalypse. With only each other to count on, they stick together and head for a safe location that is over 1,000 miles away. Naturally, there are some bad guys and a whole lot of zombies they have to fight on their journey.


How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it? 
It can take anywhere from three to seven months. It all depends on how much time during the week I have to work on it.


Do you have plans for a new book? 
Yes, I am currently working on the second book of the series and it should be out in March of 2013. It will be titled Apocalypse Z: Uncommon Ground.


What genre would you place your books into? 
This series would probably fit best in uncensored YA zombie/horror with a little bit of love story mixed in.


What made you decide to write that genre of book? 
I actually sat down to write a story about werewolves. It was my subconscious mind that took over and made it about zombies. Every time I tried, I was pulled this direction so I just went with it.


Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration? 
I have a basic idea when I start, but allow it to grow as I go along. There are times when a new character or idea pops into my head on the spot. If it fits and can add to the story, I roll with it.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title? 

I will usually select the title as I write the story. It will have to be something that fits with the storyline and cover.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along? I will make a list of the characters, their names, basic descriptions, their weapons, and what they did for work. I also make a list of their quirks and things they have in common with each other. It helps to keep things consistent and somewhat plausible in the story. After all, you can’t have someone that’s five feet tall and weighs ninety pounds wielding a three foot long pipe wrench that weighs fifteen pounds.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"? 
Yes, sometimes quite a bit. I usually relax and just review what I already have written. I avoid focusing on the block and that always helps.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? 


Probably not in my lifetime, I think there will still be some that will hang onto the printed page. What’s giving ebooks an edge is lower cost, convenience, and a wider variety of stories from independent authors. Online book sellers see it too and are making it easier for people to publish their stories.

Apocolypse Z is available to purchase on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EDE1UU https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EDE1UU

No comments:

Post a Comment